The 2020 Main League Baseball 60-game common season is all the way down to its ultimate day. The abbreviated season — a little bit greater than a 3rd of baseball’s regular 162-game slate — is down to simply 15 (or, doubtlessly, 17) common season video games. However with the conclusion of one of many strangest seasons in historical past comes loads of postseason drama. There are nonetheless two playoff spots up for grabs as we enter play Sunday, and playoff seeding is much from straightened out.
So what are the completely different situations with one recreation remaining for many groups (the Cardinals and Tigers may very well be pressured to play a doubleheader on Monday relying on Sunday’s outcomes)? Let’s break it down.
If the season ended Saturday
Here is what the postseason bracket presently seems like.
Now onto what you have to know in regards to the ultimate day of the common season. The MLB standings heading into Sunday’s 15-game schedule are tight, with 4 Nationwide League groups vying for the ultimate two playoff spots. The St. Louis Cardinals, Milwaukee Brewers, San Francisco Giants and Philadelphia Phillies are candidates to fill out the Nationwide League area.
Let’s check out the entire clinching situations for Sunday within the Nationwide League:
- The winner of the Brewers-Cardinals recreation will obtain a postseason berth.
- The Giants can clinch a postseason berth in the event that they beat the Padres, and the Brewers lose to the Cardinals.
- If the Brewers lose to the Cardinals, they’ll nonetheless clinch a postseason spot if the Giants and Phillies lose.
- If the Cardinals lose and the Giants win, St. Louis will likely be pressured to play its beforehand canceled doubleheader in opposition to the Tigers on Monday. They maintain the tiebreaker over the Giants by advantage of their superior intradivisional document.
- The Phillies can clinch a postseason berth with a win over the Rays and if the Giants and Brewers each lose. They maintain tiebreakers over the Brewers and Giants, so if the Phillies wind up tied at 29-31 for a playoff spot with one or each of these groups, then Philly makes it.
The highest 4 NL seeds are already set, with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs and San Diego Padres internet hosting the three-game Wild Card Spherical at their respective house ballparks.
Over within the American League, all eight groups are set, however the seeding will not be finalized till the conclusion of Sunday’s video games. Here is what’s up for grabs on Sunday:
- The Minnesota Twins will have the ability to clinch the AL Central with a win over the Reds or a White Sox loss to the Cubs.
- The Chicago White Sox can clinch the AL Central with a win and a Twins loss.
- The Yankees can lock up the No. 5 seed up with a win or a Blue Jays loss.
- Cleveland can clinch the No. 4 seed with a win over the Pirates and a White Sox loss
MLB has given itself solely someday between the tip of the common season and the beginning of the playoffs. Because of this, the league is not going to have tiebreaker video games. All ties will likely be determined mathematically, primarily based on both head-to-head document, intradivisional document, and so forth. If want be, MLB would ultimately resort to teams’ divisional records in their last 20-plus games.